Behind the cards: Women, young adults hold the most medical marijuana cards July 27, 2022 By Griffin Coop Women outnumber men among the state’s medical marijuana cardholders and young adults hold the most cards of any age group, according to data from the Arkansas Department of Health. Women hold 51.8% of the cards, while men hold 48.1% of the cards, according to the data for Fiscal Year 2021. The department did not know the gender for 85 of the 92,417 cardholders, according to the department’s report. Women are slightly overrepresented among the cardholders. The U.S. Census Bureau estimates females make up 50.7% of the Arkansas population with males making up the remaining 49.3%. Age groups Adults between the ages of 25 and 44 account for 43.23% of the state cardholders, holding 39,948 cards, according to the report. The second largest group was adults aged 45-64, which accounted for 37.55% of the total with 34,700 cards. Together, adults 25-64 account for 81% of all cardholders in the state. Adults over 65 accounted for 13.21% of the cards, while adults 19-24 accounted for 5.62% of the cards. Children 18 years and under accounted for less than 1% of the cards with 359 cards. We have previously analyzed the cardholder data for qualifying conditions, race/ethnicity and county of residence. Fiscal year 2021 ran from July 1, 2020 to June 30, 2021. New data should be available before the end of this calendar year, according to a spokeswoman for the Department of Health.